Tioga County Branch YMCA completes Project Rebuild to support community
The Tioga County YMCA has a new look, thanks to a hard-working group of volunteers, and a generous community. The Y recently finished “Project Rebuild,” where their Advisory Board raised over $540,000 since the Capital Campaign began in 2014. The Y was struggling before Project Rebuild, as the building, located in Mansfield next to the town pool, used to be an old armory, where the gym was rundown, and they had to use old fitness equipment from another YMCA. They were also struggling with awareness. After a survey was conducted at the local Wal-Mart, the majority of people who took the survey did not even know there was a YMCA in Mansfield. However, after 3 years and with the help of local foundations and government organizations, businesses and residents around the community, membership has tripled, and more people than ever are participating in youth and senior programs, and physical fitness activities.
The facelift to the armory included:
• A 3-stall unused garage was converted into a temperature controlled fitness center with new cardiovascular and circuit equipment.
• The gymnasium received a total remodel from floor to ceiling and is used for youth basketball, adult volleyball and fitness classes.
• The weight room was doubled in size, painted and received new flooring and equipment. Air conditioning is being installed.
• Four shower rooms were added along with lockers.
• The community room, office and children’s play room were also remodeled.
Kathleen Campbell, former Chair of the Advisory Board, and a member of the Project Rebuild team, emphasizes how important the community is to this project. “We couldn’t have done it without them,” said Campbell, “Everybody got behind this, however, Project Rebuild is really not about this building. The true goal and beneficiary here is the impact on the community. This building has given the Y the ability to do their mission better: Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.”
To learn more about the Tioga County Branch YMCA, visit their website here.
Idea/Concept: Ryan Campbell
Videography: Andrew Moore, John Vogt
Video Editing: Andrew Moore
Writing: Ryan Campbell
Anchor: Rhonda Pearson
Correspondent: Ryan Campbell
Produced by Vogt Media
Funded by UPMC Susquehanna, Matthews Motor Company